Garage doors are one of the largest home appliances, and while it doesn’t require constant attention it’s important to keep up annual maintenance to avoid expensive fixes down the road. While homeowners can fix many of the minor maintenance and inspection items there are situations where you should contact a professional to conduct more complicated services. Below are signs and tips of when you should get your garage doors serviced or call on the professionals to do an annual check up. Garage Door Service
When do you need to have your garage door serviced?
- If the door must be forced to move at any point in the cycle of opening or closing, it is time for service.
- If it’s not balanced. To test, manually open the door half way, it should stay in place. If it shuts on its own it is not balanced and it’s time for service. Check the balance of your door at least once a year.
- If it’s making excessive noise while opening or closing.
- If it has been more than 2 years since the last service call.
Some of the more serious issues or items only a professional should handle include the below, afterall safety is key!
- Visual Inspections that includes examination of springs, cables, rollers, pulleys, and mounting hardware. Examination of each component for signs of damage and wear.
- Cable examination for fraying
- Lubrication of moving parts like hinges, springs, rollers, door hinges, rollers, and tracks.
- Checking the balance to prolong garage door life. If neglected it is the catalyst for most of the damage. Lack of balancing and proper maintenance will eventually result in the cable jumping off the drum, door ajar in the opening, stripped gears, hinge separation, folding and cracking panels, failing circuit boards, loud excessive noise, or operator separation from door. Appropriate repairs are then made.
- Checking the tracking and ensure proper mounting, replacing fasteners and hardware where needed. An adjustment of the tracking and ensure proper mounting of the system, tighten and replace any loose or missing fasteners, adjust the torsion or extension springs tension, adjust the force and limit settings to ensure safety settings are correct.
If you continually ensure you are properly servicing your garage door, in the long run you will save money on fixing issues you can prevent, be safe by making sure professionals handle to more advanced garage door fixes and you will have longer lasting garage doors. It’s a win-win!